Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Review : Witch & Wizard by James Patterson with Gabrielle Charbonnet


           
Title : Witch & Wizard
Author: James Patterson with Gabrielle Charbonnet
Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars
Won From Cherrymischievous :)


About the book:

The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?


My Review:

A little something about the book….
‘Witch & Wizard’ by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet is about siblings Whit and Wisty Allgood. It starts with the ‘New order’ taking control over the government, and barging in the middle of the night at The Allgood’s residence with the full pack of armed soldiers. There’s chaos everywhere. The siblings do not understand the reason of this invasion..! And then, a total shock comes. Wisty Allgood and Whit Allgood are been taken under trial and are accused of being a witch and a wizard..!! Now, here the Story begins. Whit and Wisty are taken away and separated by their family by the ‘New order’ and thrown away in a prison. Once there, they get to know that they are not the only ones held for trial and execution. There are thousands of Kids in the prison arrested for different crimes like chewing a gum on streets, listening to music and blah blah.
The book says “The New Order is a bright new future. It is a future that replaces the corrupting and illusory freedoms of so-called democracies and replaces them with a higher discipline. It has taken many, many years of planning, strategic political postings, scientific polling, demographic research, precise messaging and carefully monitored elections “

Wisty and Whit are not aware of their magical skills or the fact, that they are actually the Witch and the Wizard. And here in the prison, their power starts growing. They don’t have any control over it. They have to discover their hidden powers and abilities in time, stand against the ‘New Order’ and fight back to save themselves, their parents and maybe the world?

The ‘Witch & Wizard’ is about both, the witch and the wizard, and not of only one sibling. I felt that a little less power to one of the siblings was given, where as the book is about both of them!! I understand that there is going to be sequel to this one, but, I felt that the story was less, but was creatively covered by the writing style. This book would have been very small otherwise. Sometimes, I even felt that it’s a mix up of many fantasy books. One more thing, the perspective of the book changes randomly and conveniently! Its like, once adjusted to one’s viewpoint, it changes, suddenly!!

I hate to say that I am not very impressed by this book. There was no punch in it!! You know, like, after finishing a particular book, the characters of the book always linger with you. But, here, that was totally not the case. After I was done reading this book, I didn’t feel the effect of it. This book, I should say is meant for the kids of the age 9 – 12. It’s actually very childish, and does not fit into a YA category. Now, considering that the book is for preteens, I would say that I liked this book. For me, it was an OKAY book because I read the whole book and wanted to know what happens next. Never did I think about putting the book down while I was reading. I would definitely say that ‘Witch & Wizard’ is a very easy,entertaining and a straight forward read. I would recommend this one to the preteens. I think they would love it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa Kirk said...

Too bad. I loved Patterson's earlier kids books but he seems to be slipping, starting with the latter Max Ride series books. But I haven't read Daniel X so can't say on that one.

December 15, 2009 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger IceJewel said...

Me too.I have only read a few romance books written by him which I loved.

I think he assumes fantasy books are read by only kids of the age 9-12 :( No wonder this book is very kiddish !!

December 19, 2009 at 1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home